Thursday, August 8, 2013

Summer Reading and Kiddie Poetry

Summer boredom has officially set in. Well, it set in in June, then took a break while I had a blast at nerd camp and with my grandmothers during the month of July, but now its back in full force. I also deleted by pinterest account (no more mindless pinning. No more wasting my life), so now I'm trying to remember what worthwhile things we did before we pinned.

Today I read a book. It has been an embarrassingly long time since I read a book for fun (The Norton Anthology of Poetry doesn't count). Okay, it's been like a month, but I'm an English major, so the bar is pretty high. Yeah, because English majors are that snobby (sarcasm). Anyway, at the moment I am giggling my way through my first every Terry Pratchett book. That man is a genius. I suppose my pinterest addiction had led me away from intelligent humor, but my goodness, Pratchett is hilarious. I've also realized that my summer reading list has been... eclectic to say the least. So far I have read The Moviegoer by Walker Percy, My Anthonia by Willa Cather,  Quartet in Autumn by Barbara Pym, and Good Omens by the aforementioned Mr. Prachett. I'm not sure what's next on my list, but I am considering another Pratchett book, possibly Going Postal.

On a more juvenile note, I have been desperately seeking the audiobook of Michael Rosen's You Wait Till I'm Older Than You. We checked it out from the library when my brother, Cole, and I were but wee tots, and those poems have been part of our family vocabulary ever since. Unfortunately, the audiobook is not to be found (I've found a million copies of the book). This is a bit of a catastrophe because yesterday when I turned to my sister and said, "I know that now, but how do I get the car out of the ditch?" She had no idea what I was talking about. Right about now you're probably wondering why I think this is such a catastrophe:

Now do you understand? This man is genius, genius I tell you, but I still can't find him reading my favorite poems. Michael Rosen, if you ever ever read this, there are poor, deprived children in America who have never experienced the pure hilarity that is You Wait Till I'm Older Than You.

No comments:

Post a Comment