Thursday, August 22, 2013

Brownies and Elizabeth Bishop

I knew that my life had reached an all time low today, when I went up to my mother and said, "Mom, all my friends are either engaged or have chosen their poets for the project." Obviously there's not a lot I can do about the latter, but I decided that today was the day that I finally chose a poet for my Junior poetry project. So off I went to the coffee shop armed with my new satchel and my ever trusty copy of the Norton Anthology of Poetry.

Originally my plan had been to read every poet on the list, and then chose one, but eventually I just ran out of poets than interest me. What with the semester being only 3 weeks away, I figured I had better get a move on, so I went back and reread the poets I had really liked. And several hours later I decided on Elizabeth Bishop! You have no idea how happy I was about this decision. I mean, I couldn't stop smiling. If I can't be engaged, this is obviously the next best thing, obviously.

Then, after Mass, I decided to throw health to the winds and bake brownies rather than going for a run. Who needs health anyway? I used this recipe, but I substituted almond extract for vanilla, not because I'm artsy or anything, we were just out of vanilla extract. I also tried to substitute shortening for oil, which somehow didn't work out. Then just when you think I've messed up enough, I decided to make these celebratory brownies. After all, it isn't everyday you pick your junior poet, so I found some writing frosting in the cabinet and frosted "Bishop" in very amateur writing. The writing started out okay, but I ran out of room, so the last three letters were all squished together. So we ate greasy, almond-y brownies, bad decoration and all. Yep, Elizabeth, they were a disaster (and they didn't just look like it).

No comments:

Post a Comment