Monday, August 5, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Wow, it's hard to believe that Nerd Camp was already over a week ago. It seems like only yesterday (Sniff, sentimental tear). Yet somehow I think I'll survive, especially since I'm now gearing up for my favorite time of year: Back to school time! Nothing like the smell of new books, the sound of squeaky new erasers, and the beautiful, beautiful sight of all my friends back together after a very long summer apart!

I've already done some back to school shopping which means I am now the proud owner of probably too many sundresses (but I love them all), a new laptop charger because I managed to loose mine at Nerd Camp, and soon I will receive in the mail the satchel to end all satchels. That last one was a total splurge which I justify by telling myself a) "But, Pip, you didn't buy a leather bag in Florence like the rest of your classmates, and b)"You're just stimulating the economy in your 'hometown'," all of which are really dumb excuses, but goodness me I like this bag. In addition to these larger purchases I also have a planner and two rolls of scotch tape. Oh, and all the pens that my Nerd Campers left behind. Thanks, guys, now I'm ready for the school year.

This year I'm especially excited because I'm moving into an on-campus apartment with three friends! Oh, and I got two spatulas for the apartment. That too. Being in an apartment means being off the meal plan, which is super exciting after eating three meals a day in the cafeteria for the past two years. It's also going to be a lot cheaper and, hopefully, healthier, if I can just stay away from all the junk food I love. The downside is, I'm not going to be seeing people in the cafeteria, so I'm going to have to make sure to actually leave the library and my apartment sometime. The apartment is also one more step closer to being an actual adult. It means that I'll have more than just my cell phone bill to pay every month, and it also means that I'm going to have to budget and plan my meals, which I've never had to do before. Sure, it doesn't sound like much, but it's kind of a daunting prospect, especially as I roll into my Junior year of college.

Speaking of Junior year, isn't that just a little terrifying? Don't get me wrong, we're going to have a ton of fun this year, but reaching the half way point in college is a little weird. I'm taking four upper level English classes this year, including my lovely Junior Poetry Project. Basically what you do is pick one poet, read all their works, read a ton of criticism, and then be reviewed by a panel of professors. I've been told that it's not as scary as a lot of people make it sound, but its still a big deal, so I want it to go well. I've also been a little annoyed about my schedule this year because our German department is now only offering 5 days-a-week, intensive German classes which count for 6 credits, rather than the normal 3 credit, 3 hour classes. Obviously the 5 days-a-week thing is a little difficult for any schedule, but the class managed to conflict with Poetry Project on Tuesdays. Only on Tuesdays, but I still can't take German, and I'm really disappointed about this because I absolutely fell in love with the German language in my last class. I was also hoping to get a minor in German, but now that plan has been blown out of the water. Oh well, I guess I'll console myself by taking Old English instead.

If you can't tell I'm totally geared up to go back to school, which would be a great thing, if I didn't have three weeks until the start of the semester. Yes, three whole weeks! I'm not sure whose brilliant idea this late start was, but may I just say, it's killing some of us. I had planned to spend these last three weeks moping around the house, but instead I got my late summer must-cram-everything-in mood, so I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off, trying to make up for all the working out, reading, and violin playing I didn't do all summer. Maybe the time will go by faster this way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment