Monday, July 9, 2012

Crafts, Clothes, and Conversations! Oh My!

I haven't had to work much in the last week, so there has been plenty of time to catch up with my girlfriends. Several of us are very recently single, so we're having a bit of post-break up rebellion. We've decided that this summer is our self-improvement summer. We're dedicated to doing interesting, artsy stuff. Unfortunately Littleton does not afford many opportunities to be cool and artsy, so right now our plans are a) to go to a coffee shop in Bigton (is that rebelliously hipster, or what?) and b) to go to Shakespeare in the park.  But until such time as we do these things we are content to hangout, do crafts, and blow our hard earned cash in the local Goodwill.

The craft day was probably the most productive thing we've done so far. We painted some really adorable picture frames, ate some nutella, and were generally having a great time, until a random 5 minute storm knock down a tree in Joy's backyard. In doing so, it also took down all the power lines. We were not deterred, however, and continued applying acrylic paint to various wooden objects. When the firemen came, we did take a break to crowd around the window, hoping and praying that they would be handsome (and single). Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see them, because it turned out that the neighbor had called 911 first. So we returned to our crafts as the house got hotter and darker.  Finally we gave up and came over to my house to enjoy AC and some late-night giggles.
This made me so proud of my artistic abilities.
My other frame. No, I did not drink all those Yoohoos, thank you very much.

The other activity that the girls and I have greatly over-enjoyed is that of shopping at Goodwill. Sometimes you just need a little retail therapy, and Goodwill is a great place to get it because everything is cheap. Plus, don't all the fashion bloggers endorse thrifting? Anyway, our local Goodwill is a magical place. You get entertainment (Who bought that in the first place?), fun (Let's try on all the prom dresses!), and true love (I absolutely positively must have this wonderful garment!). And then, of course, there's all that stuff about finding brand names at low prices, blah blah blah. The only drawback to the thrifting experience is that you occasionally must beat your friends away from really fabulous items. These beauties for example:
Haha, Joy, you will never get your hands on them. 

Now, you might wonder why on earth we would argue over a pair of banana yellow, grandma heels, and the answer is, do you know anyone who has banana yellow heels? I think not. I have also acquired several great dresses. I must confess that I am most definitely not the feminine dress type, but I have recently discovered that dresses help along my habit of turning up for things completely overdressed. So do the cute accessories that can be found at Goodwill. Heck, I could become a total fashionista, except for the fact that I have absolutely no concept of how much color is too much.

But the thing I've enjoyed the most about all this girl time is that I can be my crazy, weird self, and absolutely no one cares. It is also nice to have friends who are going through the same things you are. Okay, not nice, frankly I wish we were all engaged to the nicest, catholicest millionaires in the world, but as that's not the case we can all commiserate. And until these fantastically handsome men turn up, we will have the greatest summer ever.


ADDENDUM: If you can't already tell, I've been completely ODing on Auntie Seraphic' blog. Just giving credit where it's due, in case you think my attitude adjustment is my own doing :p


No comments:

Post a Comment