Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Dorm Room Diet

It seems that everyone is on a health and fitness kick lately, me included. I find this slightly ironic because I absolutely loathe all forms of exercise, and my favorite well-rounded meal is fruit loops and curly fries (I hope you see what I did there). Last year I was on the 19 meal plan at school. This means that I paid to have breakers, lunch, and dinner at the cafeteria. This coming semester, however, I not only have an 8 am class but a 9:00 and 10:00 as well, so breakfast in the cafeteria is out. At the moment I'm planning out how I will still make breakfast happen. It has to be a) nutritious and b) easy. So here's my hypothetical shopping list:
  • Natural Peanut Butter
  • Natural Jam
  • Whole Wheat Bread
  • Cereal (probably kashi)
  • Yogurt (I'm in love with Greek yogurt at the moment)
  • Milk (lots and lots of it!)
  • Tea (Lady Grey, Raspberry Zinger)
  • Coffee (of course)
  • Bananas
  • Apples

Yes, I am totally thinking that PB&Js will become a breakfast food. They are very filling and can be made the night before and stuck in the fridge. I'm pretty sure that I can splurge for the natural peanut butter and jam and still eat for less than $7 a meal (last year's caf price, insane right?). I probably won't have access to a kitchen next year, so all this has to be prepared in my room without disturbing my roomie. I'm thinking I'll carry a piece of fruit in my bag to eat between classes. I may also occasionally get some protein bars; my favorites are Cliff bar builder bars and power bars, mostly because they taste like chocolate bars. 

I am a total coffee addict, but once I realized that it caused me to break out, I've been drinking decaf or half and half. I've also realized that the very action of drinking something warm will keep me awake during my early classes, so I'm going to try mixing it up with some tea. Raspberry Zinger really helps during, ahem, that time. Being home with my tea-guzzling little brother has given me a new appreciation for the stuff. 

 For the rest of meals I will return to my good habits from first semester. In my first semester of college I managed to stay away from deserts and other goodies in the cafeteria, and that combined with all the walking I did made me such skinny minnie by Christmas. Second semester, on the other hand, I really got into the fruit loops and curly fries. Bad, bad, bad. Next semester, I plan to return to my "no goodies" policy. Salad good. Salad filling. Salad yummy. Maybe if I repeat this to myself enough it will become true. Yeah, right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment