Tuesday, May 15, 2012

So I'm babysitting the siblings while my parents are out of town... I swear I am the model babysitter with other people's kids. I come armed with educational games and books. I encourage playing outside. Heck, I've even let kids squirt me with super soakers, but when it comes to my siblings... Honestly things started off really well, I had everyone up, dressed, and at Mass by 7:50. I brought them home and was getting breakfast ready when the dentist called. There are just somethings I really don't want to handle before I've had my coffee and unexpected family dentist appointments are one of those things. So, basically, today was a charming roller coaster of yelling, then being sweet, then more arguing.

It is so hard to be the authority to people who know you don't really have any authority, and it is also really really hard not to ring the necks of those people you are supposed to be the nicest to. Father's homily today was all about how we should always give to others, but I'm just not sure how this applies if you are thiiiis close to throttling those sitting next to you. So I bought them ice cream. It was a sort of "I-can't-think-of-anything-nice-so-I'll-bribe-you" kind of move, but, hey, desperate times call for desperate measures.

On a happier note I finished The Prime of Miss Jane Brodie by Muriel Sparks. One of my parent's professor friends told me to read more Muriel Sparks over the break, so I have promptly set to work on it. He told me especially to read one story about a guy who's dressed up as a seraph for a Christmas play, but then a real seraph shows up.. Sound familiar to anyone? I can't for the life of me remember the title. But anyway he told me to read that one, so if I happen upon it, I will. My next selection is another one of Dr. B's recommendations: Lost in the Cosmos by Walker Percy. I'm planning to start that one either tomorrow or Thursday, depending on the babysitting gigs I've got lined up.

It's now 12:15, so I don't know whether this counts as today's post or yesterday's, but I'm thinking I should get off the internet before my eyeballs fall out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment