Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer

Summer has never been my favorite season. I'm much more of a fall girl, personally. I love the crisp back-to-school smell in the air, the leaves changing, the cool weather, which is obviously why I moved to Texas, because, as we all know, fall is a season they have there (sarcasm, sarcasm). In case you wanted to know, summer in the south is just gross- humidity, 100 degree weather, etc, etc. It doesn't really help that the economy in Littleton is sort of shot, and I'm having to patch random jobs together, so I can, you know, eat next semester. But this means that I have a lot of random free time, which means that I'm rather bored.

This summer, however, I am trying really to do something productive with my free time. Okay, I admit it, I still spend far to much time on Pinterest, but I have actually succeeded in getting somethings done. For example, I started on my Junior Poetry project. I may not have chosen a poet to obsess over (read all their works, make a presentation on them, and what not) for the next six months, but I have crossed some off the list: not Shakespeare, not Ben Jonson, Donne is right out. Hey, it may not be actual progress, but at least I'm making my job next semester a little easier.

I played my violin for the first time in about six months! Obviously I was not about to haul the most expensive thing I own overseas where it could easily be stolen, so I hadn't played in ages, until the other day. Recently I've had a love-hate relationship with music. I love having the ability to play violin, but I really hate not being good and not having the time to actually get good. It's always a little awkward to play really badly and then have to explain that you've been playing for 11 years. But today, I realized that I really should be proud of myself. I have stuck with violin for 11 years, which included 6 teachers, 3 majors moves (one of them transatlantic), and through some of the hardest semesters of my life. I may not be very good, but, dangit, I'm persistant.

I'm also trying to justify my hours wasted on Pinterest by actually doing crafts. I finished one, and i have a couple more in mind. I started this cute little pillow a couple of weeks ago and finally finished it yesterday.  Okay, it's not actually something I saw on Pinterest. I saw a pillow in a shop in England with the same saying, and I thought, "I need that, but it won't fit in my suitcase, " so I made my own when I got home.  The embroidery took me a long time, but I'm very pleased with the results. Perhaps I shall post a tutorial.
Another thing I'm doing is catching up on all the movies I haven't seen and that all my friends tell me I should have seen ages ago. So far, I've watched Ocean's 11 and Skyfall, neither of which I really would have thought to watch, if everyone wasn't constantly telling me that I should. So I watched them, and, yes, guys, I liked them a lot. Maybe I'll vary up my chick flick movie diet. Maybe. Speaking of chick flicks, last night I watched He's Just Not That Into You (recommendation from the Orthogals, not because I was feeling broken hearted, don't worry). It was hilarious and really really embarrassing ("Oh gosh,I have totally done that before!"). While it's not a movie for my younger readers, it is definitely a movie I'd recommend to anyone who is having some boy problems. It could also be titled "Dumb Things Girls Do When They Can't Take a Hint" and basically shows all the common mistakes girls make in the dating scene. Anyway, perhaps this shall be the subject for a later post.

I've even seen some recent movies, albeit kids' movies, but, hey, everyone my age went to see Monsters University, right? Right? Well, anyway, I went to see it last Sunday with my younger siblings, and we absolutely loved it. Little Mike was probably the most adorable thing ever, just sayin'. We also had the most hilarious awkward moment at the theater. We found our theater, and I saw a bunch of people crowding into one door: "What silly people," I thought, "There's a perfectly good door opposite it." So I pull open the other door and try to usher my sister through. She looks up at me and says, "Um, Pip, that's the janitor's closet."And, of course, lots of people would be watching, so with the utmost dignity, I close the door and usher my giggling midgets through the correct door. I was a little abashed, but I felt much better when the movie theater embarrassed itself by playing "The Internship" instead of the G rated movie we had all been expecting. They did eventually fix it, but not before several small children had learned some great new vocabulary words. Ah, well...

Finally, I (along with the rest of the staff) have started prepping for my next actual job! I am beyond excited to be staffing the summer program that I once attended at Ye Olde University. It's going to be the best thing ever, and I absolutely cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment