Friday, June 28, 2013

Pillow Tutorial, As Promised


I'm really happy about how well this project turned out, especially since I haven't done any embroidery since I was about eleven. It was really simple and fun, and you can embroider any text you want. 

Materials:

Pillow form or Polyfill

 2 Pieces of Fabric (enough to cover your pillow form): I used some cream colored stuff from the quilting bin at Walmart. 

Black Embroidery Floss.

Needles

Pins

Thread (to match your fabric)

A computer and printer

  1. Type your text in your desired font and size (I used 72 point American Typewriter font). I hit space between every letter, which made it a lot easier to embroider. 
  2. Print out your text and cut off the excess paper. 
  3. Pin the text to one piece of fabric; you should be able to make out the text through the fabric.
  4. Using Satin Stitch, embroider your text onto the fabric. You should be actually stitching through the paper- don't worry, it will rip off easily when you're done.
  5. Press both pieces of  fabric (just make sure you've gotten all the paper off!)
  6. Pin them together (wrong side out) and stitch three sides together.
  7. I pressed it again, but that's optional.
  8. Turn right way out and stuff with polyfill or insert pillow form.
  9. Sew up the open side
  10. Voila! You now have a snazzy new pillow. 

This is my first crafty tutorial, so I hope you guys enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. It is a lovely pillow. And you get extra points for not spelling "Voila!" as "Viola!" (which seems to be the standard internet spelling of that word -- people going around rhetorically pointing at stringed instruments that aren't there).

    ReplyDelete