Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving & First World Problems

Everyone has that friend, right? No, not the one who does awkward, embarrassing stuff in public (although, if you're lacking one, I have plenty). No, I'm talking about that friend who can and will say anything to your face. Well, that friend and I were sitting around on day, and he turns to me and says, "Y'know, Pip, you have a really whiny personality." My first instinct was, of course, to punch him in the face, but once I had restrained myself, I thought, "Maybe he's right. After all, what do I have to complain about?"

I have the greatest, albeit weirdest, family in the world. I am so thankful that, no matter what, they will always be there for me. I am also very thankful that I get to spend this holiday stuffing my face alongside them. I'm  thankful to be with people who truly understand and share my bizarre humor. I am thankful for my mother's love and patience in educating me. I am thankful for my father's humor and hard work that keep our family together. I'm thankful for my little bothers and pester... I mean, brothers and sister, of course. Even though they drive me crazy sometimes, I'm so thankful for their goofy, little selves. And, of course, I'm thankful for the dog. I'm really thankful that he didn't eat the entire turkey as he is wont to do.

I'm so thankful for all the opportunities I've been given, particularly the opportunity to attend my college. I'm thankful for my parents and professors who have always encouraged me to succeed and challenge myself. I am so glad that they have never given up on me!   I'm thankful for the friends who have become family over the past year and a half. I am also thankful for everything that is going to make my trip to Italy next semester possible!

I am thankful to be a very small part of the Catholic Church, and I give thanks for all those who aided me in my conversion. I am thankful to Fr. B for being such a great inspiration of holiness of life to all of us at St. Agatha's. I am also thankful for the freedom to practice my religion openly, may that freedom never be jeopardized.

I am very thankful for the opportunity to be an American citizen, and I thank all those who have given their lives to keep our country free. I'd also like to remember all those members of my own family who are in the armed forces. Thank you so much for your service to our country!

In the midst of all the general drudgery of everyday life and work, it's often hard to remember how blessed we are. But I think we would all do well to celebrate Thanksgiving everyday (minus the calorie intake, perhaps). So next time I lose my cell phone or have a bad hair day or get the wrong things on my burger, I'm going to try to remember what I'm thankful for before I complain about the things I don't have.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment