Saturday, July 6, 2013

Rome sickness

I've been feeling really homesick lately, except not for home but for Rome. I cannot tell you how much I miss Italy. Okay, there are a lot of things I don't miss about Italy, but the things I do miss, man oh man. A picture of St. Peter's in my Boss's house almost brought me to tears the other day. So in honor of my Rome sickness, I will give you my top ten favorite things to do in the Eternal City

1.Go to the Borghese Gardens at sunset. Well, you should go to the Borghese gardens anyway, they are absolutely gorgeous (beware scantily clad, sunbathing Italians), but the view of the city at sunset is utterly breathtaking.

2. Go to the Villa Borghese. I mean, as long as you're in the gardens, you might as well drop into my absolute favorite museum ever. Why is it so great you ask? One word: Bernini. The Borghese houses two of Bernini's most beautiful statues, the Rape of Persephone and Apollo and Daphne,  which are probably two of the most amazing statues in the world. Michelangelo's David is just lame in comparison. There's also a great collection of Carravagio's work, including my favorite work ever- Sick Bacchhus.

3. Go church hopping. There are so many great churches in Rome; even the ones that aren't famous are absolutely beautiful, so just have a day where you stop in every church you pass. Sure, you probably won't get very far, but you get a good feel of Rome this way.

4 . Go to Piazza Navona when the sun is shining. It is the most colorful place, filled with art vendors and, of course, scarf sellers. There is also a fantastic fountain, designed by, your guessed it, Bernini. 

5. Get gelato and coffee near the Pantheon. The Pantheon is probably the coolest building ever. I mean, it was a Roman temple dedicated to all the gods (possibly designed by the emperor Hadrian), but it was taken by the Christians and turned into a church. It's absolutely spectacular. It also helps that the Pantheon is located near some of the absolute best cappuccino and gelato shops in all of Rome. 

6. Climb the Cupola of St. Peter's. True, it's a lot of stairs, but it is one of the most breath-taking experiences you will ever have. There are two levels, first you are inside the dome itself, with a stunning view of the high altar and the baldacchino. Then you climb some more stairs, and suddenly you're on top of the dome, looking out over Rome. This was one of the first things I did in Rome, and I have never regretted it (it's much easier the second time). 

7. Go to the Colosseum at night. Sure the scarf/rose/light-up-toy salesmen won't leave you alone, but the beautiful view will be worth it. It is such a cool building, and when it's illuminated, it has an eery beauty to it. And since you're so close, you should walk over to the Roman Forum at night. 

8. Go to the Trevi Fountain. Okay, so it's nearly impossible to find, and it's not exactly the greatest piece of art ever, but it's worth the trek just to have that Lizzie Mcguire moment. Just a warning- not all the wishes you make come true: I wished for a handsome Italian boyfriend with no results. 

9. Eat eat eat! Italian food is amazing! So you should go out on a limb and try everything. Even foods that are gross in American are delicious in Italy. For example, I spent four months living off of egg plant and zucchini. You should also try Pasta Carbonara; It is my absolute favorite, and I guarantee you will love it too! Oh, and, of course, you have to drink a lot of wine with every meal. It's just the way this works. 

10. Wander! Just soak in the city. Every town has its own vibe, and the best way to discover it is simply to be there. You don't have to rush from museum to museum or try to see every single famous site. The most important thing is that you come away 

No comments:

Post a Comment